History of Valley
The Presbytery of Oregon organized our congregation as a mission church in 1942 with three neighborhood Sunday Schools. During World War II, the church met what is now the West Slope Library. Building materials became available again in 1946, and the newly-built manse (current Youth House) was used by our founding pastor, Herbert Armitage.
The church building was built in 1947 with help from the Presbyterian Board of American Missions. Dr. Armitage was instrumental in getting our cross, bell, and original baptismal font. The bell was cast in 1878 in Troy, New York and came around the Horn by ship. Prior to coming to Valley, the bell hung in pioneer Presbyterian churches in Halsey, Shedd, and Glencullen, Oregon. The original baptismal bowl was brought to Oregon by covered wagon.
To add needed classrooms and offices, the west wing was added in 1954. In 1967, the sanctuary was "stretched" to the north and the east wing was built, adding the library, gym, and more classrooms. In more recent years, major projects included the Fireside Room, choir rooms, nursery, offices, Youth House and new landscaping and church sign.